ORANJ, RAs, and CCRCs
ORANJ is the Organization of Residents Associations of New Jersey. The Residents Associations (RAs) address the well-being of the residents of Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) who reside in Independent Living units, Assisted Living units, or Long Term Care units of such communities.
ORANJ was established for the purpose of supporting, empowering, and bettering the lives of senior citizens of New Jersey.
To further its goals, ORANJ works closely with allied organizations including:
- Leading Age - was American Assn of Homes and Services for the Aging
- Leading Age New Jersey - was NJ Assn of Homes and Services for the Aging
- NaCCRA - National Continuing Care Residents Associations
Major Activities of ORANJ
- To facilitate communication and interchange by sponsoring semi-annual meetings among its members and by disseminating information about its activities through New Jersey media outlets
- To protect and enhance residents rights by monitoring legislation affecting CCRCs and serving as an advocate for residents.
- To support Resident Association Health Care Committees in promoting cooperation between health care staff and residents to enhance the residents' well being
- To provide information and service to new CCRCs to help them establish productive programs through their Residents Associations
- To support The Oranj Tree, a periodic publication about ORANJ and its CCRC members.
ORANJ welcomes into membership all Residents Associations of CCRCs certified by the state of New Jersey.
The ORANJ Executive Committee consists of the officers and the chairs of the Standing Committees.
Delegates from member Associations meet each spring and fall in plenary session. The Executive Committee meets as necessary between the plenary sessions to conduct the on-going work of the organization. The Standing Committees meet as often as necessary to carry out assigned responsibilites.
By the late 1980's, fourteen Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs), offering facilities for the three stages of Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Long Term Care, had been certified for senior citizens in New Jersey. Currently, there are 25 certified CCRCs in New Jersey.
For further information about ORANJ and its services, contact the ORANJ President.